|Speed Hetzer! - Page 3|
Page 3 of 3
On and off, this took about 2 and half hours (not including drying time), and then I had to let it sit overnight...
A couple things I ran into that'd I do differently next time are:
This time: Used Tamiya Clear for the paintwork protective coat.
The beauty of a project like this (i.e. speed build) is that you're more likely to just give things a go rather than worry about being too precise. A great way I've found to try new things and experiment a little more. Then it was time to apply some filters. First filter was Blue. This gave it a nice frosty tone. I waited about 2 hours before adding a Tan filter which was slightly diluted with mineral spirits as I didn't want the effect to be too harsh. Total time working with the filters, about 5 minutes each.
I normally use MIG (Sin Industries) filters, which are oil based. If I find the effect a little heavy, I just dilute the mixture. I'll also mix my own occasionally using oils. The beauty of using oils is that if the effect is too heavy, or just doesn't look right, you have time to fix it/clean it up. The shorter drying time for enamels and especially acrylics makes me favour the oils. When applying them, I load a soft haired brush with the filter and gently apply it to the surface working my way from top to bottom. I only do one side at a time so that I can clean up any excess/correct the result where required.
These bargain/cheap pickups are great for practicing, refining skills and learning new techniques. To be honest, this will probably end up being a test model down the track, hence the speed at which things are being done. It's also a good way to just have a play without worrying too much about the result. Extremely fun and relaxing!
I left the roof and rear deck untreated by the oil dots to show the difference and contrast in finish. I also ran out of light at this point!
At this point I started some of the detail painting, being the rubber wheels, exhaust, shovel and jack block. The exhaust was done using LifeColor's rust set.
The weld seams have been given a white pinwash.
The same pinwash mixture was added to the rear of the hull.
Next I built a simple base. I added a block of Styrofoam with the inside carved out. This was covered with a mixture of plaster, sand and water. I added a little more plaster than I normally do to get a rough broken up look.
This was then painted a light earth colour, followed by a couple washes of dark brown. The schurzen have also been added at this point. They were finished the same way as the vehicle, although at this stage they've yet to get the filter treatment. I would have to do some detail painting on them as well...
As I had plenty of reference pics showing bogged and abandoned Hetzer's with no tracks to be seen, I decided not to fit the shocking rubber band tracks to the kit!
...And the original Photo Feature...